Thursday, September 9, 2010

Some relief at last...

...at least I hope!

After 4 throat infections in 3 months we were sent to an ENT and scheduled to have Jackson's tonsils removed.  It's been a terrible three months for this poor guy....not to mention that we dealt with 2 years of ear infections just prior to this.  He just had tubes put in his ears in April!  I wish I would have pushed harder to have his tonsils removed at that time.  It would have saved the poor kid from months of fevers, throwing up, gagging, choking, etc.  Let's hope that this procedure is the cure to his endless sickness.

We had to be to the surgery center at 6:00am so my mom came and spent the night so she could get Sydney off to school and take care of Carter while we were gone.
We got him all checked in and got matching bracelets.  He thought it was funny that my bracelet said "Jackson" on it even though that's not my name.  Silly doctors.



Then they called us back and he got to wear a "night gown".  He wanted to call Sydney right then and tell her he got to wear a night gown just like her.  He was really concerned when I told him that the special hat was to catch any hairs that fall out.  I found out after the surgery when we took it off that he though all his hair was going to fall out.  Poor kid.

The surgery was fast!  I only waited in the waiting room for about 20 minutes!  They gave him sleeping gas to knock him out and then put an IV in once he was asleep.  When they brought me back to him he was scared and violent.  He was thrashing and kicking and yelling for Mom.  They put him in my lap and that's when he saw his arm....

They had wrapped it all up so the IV would stay in place.  When he saw it he grabbed the tube and ripped it out.  Then he started ripping his gown off.  It was crazy.  After a couple minutes of thrashing around he would just stop and stare...just in a daze.  Then he'd thrash around again for a few seconds and then back to staring.  After about 20 minutes of that he knocked out and slept for about 20 minutes.



When he woke up he said "Hi Mom. Can I have a drink?"  Sweet as an angel.  He didn't remember anything and was ready to eat a popsicle and go home.  Phew.  They sent us home with some pain meds and antibiotics and Jackson gets to spend the next few days like this... 
...laying around having books read to him, watching movies, sleeping, and of course

eating popsicles.

Maybe I should have my tonsils taken out!  I need a break, too!

No comments: