Friday, December 12, 2008

Random Post

Yesterday McKay took his last final for the semester. This means we are officially HALF WAY DONE with law school! Good job dear! We decided over the summer that we would not make the trip back to Las Vegas for Christmas this year. With flight prices so high and now having to buy tickets for both kids we decided to stay in Virginia. It didn't seem like such a bad idea at the time. I knew my family was coming to visit for Thanksgiving so wasn't too worried about not seeing them for Christmas. Well, all week I've started to feel the sadness of being away from home. Although I know we've decided to stay home, I did all the laundry and cleaned up the house just in case McKay decided to surprise me with a trip home. Needless to say, that isn't going to happen. It's hard to watch all of our law school friends head home to be with family, but we'll make it through.
McKay has been done with school for 25 hours and he has already finished New Moon (the second book in the Twilight series) and is well into Eclipse (the third book). I think he's enjoying some recreational reading after having his nose stuck in his law books for the past 4 months. He read the first book about a month ago and had to stop because he was too distracted from his work. He's such a chick flick freak (and he always blames the cheesy movies we rent on me!)
We have been enjoying a bit of snow here in Grundy. Yesterday it poured rain all day and then in the late evening it turned into snow. Usually when we get snow it just sticks to the ground, but last night it stuck to all the trees on the mountains as well. It was a pretty sight. It reminds me of when we used to get our Christmas trees flocked as a kid. Here's a picture from our front window.
This picture doesn't really do it justice, but you get the idea.
We went grocery shopping this morning and when we got home the kids wanted to play in the little bit of snow that was on the grass. They also had fun picking up sheets of ice that covered my car and throwing them on the ground to shatter. They were just in their hoodies with no gloves, so by the time we had the groceries in the house they were freezing. Jackson's hands were all red and he was so sad. So, as we were putting the groceries away, McKay wrapped him up in a blanket sitting on a stool. Sydney sat by him to comfort him.

Just a few seconds later Sydney had a used toilet paper roll and was pretending to cut Jackson's hair (using the toilet paper roll like clippers). I guess she thought the blanket looked like the little apron thing they put on you at the salon so the hair doesn't fall on you. When she was done cutting his hair she held up the book and said "Ok Jackson, look in the mirror. Does it look pretty?" He played right along. I love watching them pretend.

And that is the end of my random post. Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

Megan said...

We miss you guys! I know that doesn't make it better, but when you feel homesick, knowing that other people at least miss you helps, I think.

I bet Matthias would LOVE to play Mario Kart Wii with you guys! Maybe I'll join too! ;)

Beth B said...

Okay, time to find someone else who isn't going "home" for Christmas and plan some all day Christmas bash with them--make some more awesome memories and friendships closer.