Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Poor kid

After two years of chronic ear infections, Jackson got tubes in his ears last April.


I thought for sure I'd finally have a healthy little guy.
Not so.
About 10 cases of strep throat later, he had his tonsils out in September.


He's been so healthy since those tonsils came out.  
He's gained EIGHT pounds and grown FOUR inches in just SIX months.
Aside from the night time growing pains, he hasn't suffered more than a cold since those huge tonsils were removed.

Until now.
You might remember my post about all the kids being sick.  We had strep, sinus infections, ear infections, and nasty coughs all around.  Everyone was put on antibiotics.
Sydney got better right away.
Carter seemed to be doing better, then had an allergic reaction on day 9 of the amoxicillin and got horrible hives.
When the hives hit he lost all the progress he'd made and had two ear infections and strep again.
He's now on day 8 of his new antibiotic and is just showing progress.  

Jackson finished his round of antibiotics about two weeks ago.
His cough lightened for a few days, then came back.
I figured it was allergies.
WRONG.
He woke up yesterday and couldn't swallow his breakfast.
I took him in expecting strep, and he had strep all right.  A nasty case of it.  The doctor had me come look in his poor throat and mentioned that she wished she had a student there to show...it was pretty disgusting.

Then she listened to his breathing.
"Did you know he's wheezing??", she asked me.
"Uh, no...just the never ending cough..."

She put him on a breathing treatment right then.
It didn't fix the problem.
He has pneumonia.

So, we now have a lovely nebulizer machine and some very intense antibiotics.
Let's hope this kicks the sickness before it starts to go around our house again.



Love, the frazzled pregnant mother of three, going on 6 weeks of never ending sick children.
;-)

3 comments:

Andrea Gilberg said...

Oh man! I totally feel ya. We have been through the same thing with easton. Both kids had huge tonsils so they both got theirs out. Then we have had an endless sickness all winter. We now own a nebulizer too. It sucks. I hate strep, croup, pnemonia, and all that junk! Hope they all start feeling better. I'm really hoping that the tonsils solve my problems :) thank for giving me hope ;)

Angie said...

ah sad. i'm sorry. man, once again I wish we lived closer. i know you have family around, but it's always nice to have someone else to help you out.

Megan said...

Poor Jackson! And poor pregnant momma! I hope everyone is healthy soon so that you can take a break...or work on packing, moving, and unpacking.